4.09.2013

An Open Letter To Any Duquesne Freshman Basketball Player Thinking About Transferring

To whom it may concern:

I'm a concerned Duquesne fan and blogger. I've been following the men's basketball program since I was a student 12 years ago. I understand that rumors are just rumors, but I heard one today about a potential star freshman who might be leaving. As a devoted fan of the program, I really hope you'll consider toughing it out.

I know you're new around here and I get that the stands at the Palumbo Center looked a little empty at times. However, in spite of a lot of bad things that have happened to us over the years, there are still a lot of deeply committed fans. A lot of us expect the worst of the program while others are just hoping we catch a break. We don't catch a lot of breaks. Aaron Jackson busting out his senior year was one. Damian Saunders falling into our lap was another. TJ McConnell growing 5 inches after committing as a sophomore helped too. The list pretty much ends there and I won't trouble you with the things that have gone wrong. You leaving would just be piling on.

The good news is that things seem to be changing and I was really hoping you'd be a part of it. The administration is behind the program, supporting basketball like it never has before. We have an outstanding recruiting class coming in. On paper, some people think it's the best we've had since the 70's. Personally, I think your class was pretty damn good as well. Combine the two groups together and we're suddenly looking at a talented core over the next three years, one that could really get the ball rolling in the right direction. Without you, I don't like our chances nearly as much.

From a student and a player's perspective, I can understand why you're pissed. Losing sucks, but I think our record gets better quickly especially with you around. Unfortunately because we struggled last year, the coaching staff is making big changes and a some people you looked at as brothers are getting screwed. I am pissed too. And confused. I don't get why you do something this extreme in your second year. At the end of the day though, the decisions relating to your friends aren't personal. They're business. It's a harsh reality, but it's the way of the world. I don't like it, but I accept it. Keep in mind the grass isn't always greener. Ask Melquan Bolding.

 I understand that you need to do what you need to do for yourself. I'm not so selfish to ask you to make a huge sacrifice for us fans and for old Duquesne. I just want something good to happen to the program and I see you as part of that formula.  If you and your teammates have success on the floor, you'll be remembered fondly for a long time to come. One thing to remember about Duquesne fans is that we don't forget. I sincerely believe that what is good for Duquesne could be good for you too. It just takes getting past some tough times first.

Hope you stick around,

Steve DiMiceli