3.29.2012

Some Guys Who We Aren't Talking About

By Steven DiMiceli

With the Duquesne coaching search blown wide open and school keeping a hush on the search, I had a look at some of the qualified gentlemen who I think are at least semi - interesting. I don't want to call these guys dark horses or candidates as that would imply that they actually are in the running for the job. I don't know one way or the other. I'm just throwing more names into the paint mixer.


Dwayne Stephens - Michigan St assistant - Coaches post players and handles scouting and recruiting for the Spartans. Said via twitter that he's interested in the job.

Dane Fife - Michigan St assistant - Former head coach of IUPUI - Fort Worth where he led the Mastodons through there transition to D-1 basketball. First hired at 25. In his final season, the team went 18-12 before he left to coach with Tom Izzo. Could be a fast riser though he is still inexperienced. Winner of the Big 10 defensive player of the year when he played at Indiana. I would love this hire, but I think he will study with the master for a few more seasons.

Tim Cluess - Iona head coach - Took Iona to the NCAA tournament with an at large bid in just his second season in division I after a very successful Division II career. Plays an uptempo style and blows huge leads. Duquesne fans should be very comfortable with him (I kid). 49-18 record so far at Iona with some high profile wins.

Reggie Witherspoon - Buffalo head coach - Losing career record at Buffalo, but he's won 21,18,20, and 19 over the last four years. In my eyes, winning 20 games in multiple seasons at UB is about as difficult as winning the triple crown in baseball.

John Pelfrey - Florida assistant - Fired last year as the head coach of Arkansas after going 7-9 in conference. Was successful at South Alabama especially his final two seasons. Coached under one of my all time favorites, Eddie Sutton.

Kenya Hunter - Georgetown assistant - His name has been mentioned, but I like him. Duquesne grad who has worked with very good coaches including Sean Miller, Herb Sendek and now John Thompson. Strong recruiting ties locally.

Wayne Tinkle - Montana head coach - haha, tinkle. Seriously though. I was impressed by his program in the CBI last year and his big men in particular.

Joe Dooley - Kansas assistant - At Kansas since 2003 and won a national championship. Has head coaching experience at East Carolina that didn't go so well. Of course, I'd like to think he's learned some things from Bill Self and Fran Frashcilla.

Anthony Evans - Norfolk St head coach - per DukesDan

I'd love to add Eddie Beidenbach, the best bargain in college basketball to the list, but he makes Dick Vitale feel young.