6.30.2011

Greentree 6/29: Schools at the Pro - Am don't have a lot to be excited about

By Steve DiMiceli

 
4 match days completed at the PBC Pro - Am and I have to say that I think it could be a long year for most of the schools participating in the event. I suspect some will be further off their standards than others. Here's a break down of each school.


Duquesne

What I like:

I'll begin with my Dukes since they get most of my attention. On the ball, TJ McConnell, Eric Evans and Mike Talley have been rocks. They control the game and UPMC is the only unit in the league that plays a solid team game. Daniel Herrera showed well in his first game and BJ Montiero had a nice, consistent effort in his last game out.  Jerry Jones has also gotten more involved at times.

What I don't like:

As a whole, the Dukes are not finishing well. It's been close, but you have to drain them. They've been particularly disappointing from beyond the arc and I believe I can count on one hand the total number of three's they've drained. The Dukes still have not had an inside presence emerge. Marhold looks improved but is still likely not good enough to take control of the post. Martin has some skill defensively, but has been a little off on his jump shot. He's also shown poorly against larger defenders and has been unable to score in the post. Rebounding is likely to be a problem again this year.

Pittsburgh:

What I like:

Pitt has gotten some very good performances from some of their reserves who should see more playing time this year. Durand Johnson, Isiah Epps, JJ Moore and Dante Taylor have all showed well. Malcolm Gilbert has been the surprise of the league. Ashton Gibbs has dominated the league for the most part.

What I don't like:

Khem Birch will likely not be a guy Jamie Dixon can depend on this year like many had hoped. He is a good defensive player as advertised, but he has yet to make a real impact offensively. Gibbs was very predictable tonight and also quite selfish. Lamar Patterson seems very inconsistent. I think Pitt could weather the losses of their seniors, but they will need someone else to step up. For the first time in a long time, they could Menbe vulnerable down low.

Robert Morris.

What I like:

Caron Williams has been very good and so has Mezi Nwegwi. Both have been among the more productive players in the league.

What I don't like:

The Colonials that most people are asking about are guys who have already graduated. Players like Dallas Green and Jeremy Chappel are the ones being noticed besides Williams and Nwegwi. Velton Jones is hurt. I'm not noticing any inside presence (are we noticing a theme here).

West Virginia

What I like:

Juwan Staten has been good and their freshmen team did manage to comeback and play TJ's side and The Lair minus Dante Taylor pretty tough in their first two games. Truck Bryant was credited with 7 assists in his only appearance. Kevin Noreen showed a nice shot this evening.

What I don't like:

This is a young team and the best player I've seen in the league for them is ineligible for next season due to transfer rules. Aaric Murray is beginning to look like he could be a bust.  Truck Bryant may not have even been the third best guard on his team. For the most part, the freshman team has shown very poorly. This could be a very bad year for the Mountaineers.

Youngstown St.

What I like:

Youngstown St probably has the most dynamic player in the league in Kendrick Perry. Blake Allen has also shown a willingness to shoot. Du'Shaun Brooks scored 24 on the 22nd and rebounded well in every game.

What I don't like:

Like Robert Morris, their depth players really fade into the background. Some, I won't mention names have been down right terrible.

Again, keep in mind, I pay the most attention to the Duquesne players, so my assessment may not be the most valid one on the internet. However, based on what I've seen, the local teams could really struggle. I think Pitt should be OK.YSU and Robert Morris should be competitive in their respective leagues, but Robert Morris will likely  have down year against better out of conference teams. Duquesne is still up in the air, but I am almost certain it will be a long season in Morgantown. I don't see the NCAA tournament in any team's future save for Pitt. I wouldn't consider that a lock either.